Wednesday 29 September 2010

- moedig :: bravery -


was it love or fear of the cold that led me into your arms

While the kids are slaying dragons in the woods, and doing lots of other fearsome stuff to show themselves how brave and strong they are, mum stayed home, getting on with chores, and drinking coffee... And realised that it was getting really quite cold now, while hanging out the washing, feeling the chilly wind... It reminded me of the Mumford & sons song -
Winter Winds - which to me is a happy as well as melancholic song (which is remarkably easy in my head...) and on listening to the lyrics, it struck me that the words are so beautiful, and honest and cold about how love can be practical as well as mesmerising... And both are okay... Nothing scary or horrible about it. As long as you allow it to happen... And it takes quite a bit of bravery sometimes...

Terwijl de kinderen in het bos draken verslaan en andere stoere dingen doen, om aan zichzelf te laten zien hoe krachtig en sterk ze wel zijn, zit moeders thuis aan de koffie en keert hoe langer hoe meer naar binnen. En de was buiten hangend, in de toch wel erg koud wordende wind die door de tuin waait, kwam dat ene lied van Mumford & Sons - Winter winds - waar ik zowel blij als melancholisch van wordt (kan gewoon, in mijn hoofd) en ik luisterde nog eens goed naar de woorden. In de auto, als ik kinderen ophaal van scholen kan dat heel goed, en ineens dacht ik hoe mooi het eigenlijk is, wanneer hij zegt: was it love or fear of the cold that led me into your arms... Niet bijster romantisch, maar wel heel echt - hoe vaak is het een praktische oplossing, het comfort en de rust die we vinden bij andere mensen. En de hele tekst zat vol met die ogenschijnlijke tegenstrijdigheden en eerlijkheden:

We'll be washed and buried one day my girl
And the time we were given will be left for the world

The flesh that lived and loved will be eaten by plague

so let the memories be good for those who stay


Oh the shame that sent me off from the God that I once loved
Was the same that sent me into your arms

Oh and pestilence is won when you are lost and I am gone

And no hope, no hope will overcome

But if your strife strikes at your sleep

Remember spring swaps snow for leaves

You'll be happy and wholesome again

When the city clears and sun ascends


Heel poëtisch en nou eens niet liefelijk en schattig, maar echt en krachtig, zoals liefde ook kan zijn, het gevoel wat je krijgt als je gevoelens het overnemen van je. Het is niet eng, het is anders, en vreemd en ongemakkelijk, maar ook prachtig. Als je het durft toe te laten... En daar moet je soms wel moedig voor durven zijn...

- foto van/picture taken from the blue walrus -

2 comments:

Elly said...

mmm fijne muziekjes he , little lion man is ook zo een lekkertje ;-)

I really fucked it up this time
didn't I, my dear?
didn't I, my .....

Daan said...

oh bliss....
er wordt er altijd eentje helemaal onprettig als er een f-woord geuit wordt, dus ik zing dat stukje met heel veel extra jeu... ;-)